Tuesday, April 9, 2013

RIP Ebert

Like many film buffs, I was rather saddened to hear of renowned critic Roger Ebert's death last Thursday. To even remotely describe Ebert's contributions to the film society over the years isn't feasible to put in words. Nevertheless, I owe the man a blog post for impacting me personally.

I've always loved and been fascinated by movies. No other medium has the ability to capture a person's imagination in quite the same way; a principle which I believe Ebert clung to very passionately as well.

Beyond being a brilliant writer, Ebert taught us that film is so much more than a great pastime on weekends. His reviews encouraged us to look deeper into cinema, challenging us to open our minds to new and invigorating experiences. While I was always mesmerized by the thrills of going to the movies, I didn't quite understand how to fully engage until I began reading Ebert's work.

Ebert has been my go to critic ever since I started reviewing. Whether it was a summer blockbuster or Oscar nominee, I was always eager to see Ebert's opinion. His work was an instrumental component in training me to be a better critic and a better writer in general. And while he is no longer with us, he left behind a legacy which I'm sure will continue to have a long-lasting impact.

I picked up a book of his while I was in NYC last year, and this anthology of reviews is one I continually reference. This volume rests on my desk, surrounded by an assortment of other novels, plays, comics, and newspapers. To the left is my television set and DVD player, with the 3-disc special edition of Close Encounters of the Third Kind in front of it. That is but one of a library of films on my shelf. These and all my books are categorized, although I do misplace items from time to time. As I like to think of this room as my Fortress of Solitude/Bat-Cave, I wonder what Ebert's room looked like when he was my age.

Ebert's legacy is demonstrated by his innate passion for film, and how that passion drove his remarkable career. While I don't know I could ever match his superior ability as a critic and writer, he is nonetheless one I shall continue to aspire to. May he rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment