Monday, December 16, 2013

What I've Been Up To Lately

Hello friends. If you're reading this, I want to first apologize for my lack of posts these past few months. It's been a rather tiresome semester, and I am beyond relieved to have a few weeks off over Christmas break. Though I haven't had much time for blogging, I have done plenty of writing nonetheless. Between film essays, screenwriting, prose fiction, and the weekly Technician articles, I feel like I could fill a short book with everything I've written this semester. You can find all my latest movie reviews and other articles here: http://www.technicianonline.com/search/?t=article&d1=1+year+ago&q=Kevin+Schaefer+. I've done a lot of writing about pop culture lately, now that I'm on the Features staff.

In addition to my writing and school, I am also heavily involved with Intervarsity Christian Fellowship at NC State and Meredith. I'm co-leading a men's Bible study with my friend Ben, who was my leader last year. I've thoroughly enjoyed getting to know these guys, and I look forward to another semester with them. Anytime you see God work in the lives of others, it's always something indescribable. And He's done quite a lot in me recently. A few months ago I had a bad fall while I was getting ready to take a shower. I was bleeding heavily, and my Dad had to wait with me until the paramedics came. Fortunately everything worked out, and I recovered within a few weeks. While times like that are never fun, they do make you realize how much all of us need God in our lives. I know I forget it all too often, and it occasionally takes a wake-up call such as this for me to remember.

Back in October I had the pleasure of co-writing and producing a short film with some friends for NC State's Campus Movie Fest. This is an annual competition in which student teams are tasked with making a movie of 5 minutes or less in a week. It was a great experience, and our film made the top 16! Having it shown on the big screen was pretty sweet, and I look forward to participating in CMF in the years to come. Here's the link to our film: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PHryFwoUUag. When my friend James (who directed the film) came to me with the idea about an old guy hanging out with college students, I knew that I wanted in. With a great cast and crew, we were able to make something which I'm rather proud of. Hopefully this is just the beginning of a long career in film.

In fiction writing this semester, I wrote a sci-fi story about a superhuman agent who returns from vacation to find that the alien world he's assigned to protect has been overrun by an intergalactic warlord in his absence. It is also a love story, and I definitely intend to continue with this project in the future. Whether I tell it through comics or screenplays (or both), I'm eager to see where this story will go and how the character will evolve.

When I'm not writing, I usually hang out with friends on the weekends and chill on campus. Over break I'm looking forward to reading whatever I feel like and not something assigned to me. I'll probably have time to do more blogging as well.

Well, now that I've done my fair share of internet rambling, I guess it's time to go back to my comic book collection and enjoy what time I have off. Farewell friends and Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment